7/7/07

DAY THIRTEEN

The kids have Judo every Saturday morning. This Saturday we got up late. I blame myself because I didn't set my alarm. So, their not going was all my fault. Wanted to stay in bed all day, but I had stuff to do. Turner Classic Movies was nice enough to play some old Screwy Squirrel cartoons and that was cool. Before that they had a one reel about illegal betting on horse races. Hugh Beaumont got slapped into a coma by some thugs so it was fun to watch. Never knew that Beaver's dad bet on the ponies.
Then I was up and ready to go. I had to drop off a movie, Bride OF Frank, to a guy I know, Jimmy Stickel down at the library. The kids were up for the drive, but Martha decided to stay home. Jimmy never showed so no flick for him. Dennis and Dandelion got some comics from the library so it wasn't a total waste.
Then we decided to let Dan spend his birthday gift certificate that Joe got him from Fanfare Comics. He bought a new Nintendo Gamecube game called Metroid something or other. Metroid is one of those that has a billion and a half titles out there so it's hard to tell one from the other.
After that we had to take back bottles and pick up some necessity items from the store.
I was grilling corn on the cob and steak for dinner and picked up some charcoal with everything else.
The grilling didn't go so good.
I think I just didn't have enough charcoal to begin with. I got one of those bags that you just throw in there and light and you're good to go. The corn turned out fine, but the steaks got cooked on the indoor grill that sets on top of our stove. Handy little thing that I got for a holiday many moons ago from Martha. Use it all the time. The steaks turned out fine and the corn was great.
After that the kids played some video games while I got everything set up for family movie night. See, I have this buddy named Michael Legge who is also a horror movie host named Dr. Dreck. Anyway, he sends me all his shows on DVD and the kids really like them. Dan especially likes Stu, the big rat who drives Dr. Dreck crazy. Tonight's feature was The Brain Eaters. With a total running time of 60 minutes, this flick from the fifties is great fun with a rocket ship, creatures that control your brain and Leonard Nimoy in an unrecognizable cameo. You know it's him, though. The voice is unmistakable.
This is one of the Dreck's Drive-In specials. They all take place at the drive-in and this week the concession stand owner, Graoner decides to hold a raffle, only she has no idea how to hold a raffle and hilarity ensues. Dr. Dreck reminds me of my younger years when I would watch Shock Theater on the local ABC affiliate and then, if I could get it to come in, I would watch the ABC affiliate out of Mishiwaka, Indiana and check out Double Creature Feature. Shock Theater had The Ghoul out of Detroit as a host for a little while, but my fondest memories of either show had no horror host. Shock Theater had spooky music and a spooky picture of a tree or some such thing. Double Creature Feature had a picture of cartoony monsters and somebody on a synthesizer playing the words 'creature feature' to a funky beat. Pretty cool stuff, but no horror host. Dr. Dreck is my horror host of choice and the kids really like the popcorn and soda and watching Dr. Dreck each weekend. A fun time was had by all.
Tomorrow is church and I have a Sunday School Lesson to prepare so I'm done with this for the night.