11/2/07

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-EIGHT

Man I was busy at work! From the minute I got there to the end of the day I was running and worn out. Hopefully, things will slow down, but I know that ain't gonna happen.
I would now like to interrupt our regularly scheduled blog to complain about something. First, read this 'news' article:

Dog" Chapman Apologizes for Racial Slur
American TV star Duane "Dog" Chapman has apologized for repeatedly using a racial epithet in a private phone call to his son. The star of TV series Dog The Bounty Hunter allegedly told his son to break-up with his black girlfriend during a taped conversation which was leaked online. Chapman was forced to issue an apology after bosses at A&E television suspended production on his reality series. He says, "My sincerest, heartfelt apologies go out to every person I have offended for my regrettable use of very inappropriate language. I am deeply disappointed in myself for speaking out of anger to my son and using such a hateful term in a private phone conversation." A spokesman for A&E says, "We take this matter very seriously. Pending an investigation, we have suspended production on the series. When the inquiry is concluded we will take appropriate action."

Okay, now did you read that carefully? This man who, by the way I do not watch this show. I may have caught a commercial for it and I did like it when South Park mocked him, but I have never watched an episode. This guy is pissed off at his son and they have a heated exchange over the phone. In the heat of the moment in this PRIVATE phone conversation he uses a racial slur. Man, it must be tough to be the only person in the world to do that. I mean none of the rest of us ever get mad or use a racial slur ever in our entire lives. And we sure as Hell don't do it in PRIVATE. To add insult to injury the only reason this came to light is that Dog's son taped the conversation and sold it to the tabloids. Very nice. Good kid ya got there, Dog. And how bright is a kid who shoots his own parents gravy train ride of a television show? You know the kid must be benefiting from this as well and what kind of mind works like that? What good came of the entire thing? The show gets good ratings ad A&E will pretends that they are offended beyond words and then when the next racial slur occurs somewhere else, Dog will be back on the air with a bigger following than before and the ratings will soar and Dog and A&E will make a boatload of money. In the old days when there were a gang of men called The Forty Thieves they would take prints of movies to towns and play them. They promised the sizzle that Hollywood films were lacking. If hey could cause a little trouble with the police and get people in an uproar it helped fill the seats and make more money for they Thieves. David Friedman, legendary film producer and member of The Forty Thieves admitted on more than one occasion that he would call the cops himself and act like an indignant member of the community to get a little flare up over at the theater that was showing his films. Made for better business.
For the majority of people in the world they are suckers. They believe what they are told and act accordingly. Playing to the Lowest Common Denominator always works. Mob rule is something that has been around since God decided that there should be more than two of us tromping the Earth. It's just something we're born with.
So, the new flavor of the week is Dog and his use of the N word in a PRIVATE conversation with his son. I'm starting to think that George Orwell had something when he wrote 1984. I think he just got the date wrong.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled blog;

So, Martha came and got me for lunch and we sold the van with the blown transmission. We got a hundred bucks for it and that was cool. After work Martha came and got me and we went to the store to get stuff for dinner. Barb was coming over to drop off clothes for the boys. I made Parmesan crusted chicken with fettuccine alfredo and some sauteed vegetables. Carrots, zucchini and summer squash with a little Mrs. Dash and some crushed garlic. Yummy stuff. After dinner, Martha and Delia went to choir practice and the rest of the gang went about their merry business.
I did get a care package from my good buddy David Zuzelo full of books and comics and music and Bruno MAttei's THE OTHER HELL. The icing on the cake would have been the Jess Franco lobby cards. I have to get them measured and framed. I have just the spot for them to hang when that's done.
I was tired from actually putting in a hectic eight hours at work. At least tomorrow is Friday and payday.

No comments: