9/2/07

DAY SIXTY-NINE

The juvenile in me would like to comment on it being the sixty ninth day of the blog, but I will try to refrain myself. I must have been tired. I slept until a little after ten. I never sleep that late. Must be under the weather. I was up pretty late the night before though.
Did a little cleaning around the house because we were expecting Chris and Heather over for dinner on Sunday. Then we went to the Praise Baptist Block Party. The kids had been going to the vacation Bible school all week and they wanted to go to the block party. We took Cassidy the dog and she had fun. People petted her and gave her sno cones and hot dogs. Yes, my crazy dog likes sno cones.
Daniel had the worst time. He tried playing basketball with Dennis and fell. The area was gravel and he tore his knee up pretty bad. There were games for the kids to play and they all won door prizes. I had a couple of hot dogs and someone brought roasted, pickled, yellow tomatoes to put on the dogs. They were awesome, but my stomach tended to disagree with me.
Stew and Amy brought their children down and they all had fun. It was funny to see Addison give her daddy a weird look when he tried giving her cotton candy. Then she figured out it was candy and she was cool with that.
After that we went home and Martha and I went to the store to get stuff for Sunday. And we ended up making two trips because we forgot stuff. Fun fun going to Meijer on a Saturday that is also a holiday weekend.
I was mowing the lawn earlier in the day and discovered another ground nest. There I was pushing the mower and for some reason I decided to look up from pushing. Good move on my part. There was a cloud of about a hundred bees swarming in front of me. No more mowing for the day!
n our second trip to Meijer we went looking for matches. Yeah, that was fun. We finally found some over in the seasonal area.
When we got home we put away what we got from the store and then it was out to the ground nest. I poured some gasoline down the hole, gave the can to Dennis and dropped a match into the hole. It fizzled. I tried again. Fizzle. Finally, I lit the match and got a little closer. By this time the fumes had managed to seep a little farther and with a blue blossom and a whoosh, the gas caught fire and a little pillar came out of the ground. The fire chased Dennis for a second and he panicked, but it stopped way before it got him.
We let the fire burn for about twenty minutes, plugged the hole and doused the ground with water. I let Dennis be in charge of the water. He didn't realize that the ground was hot sand the sudden whoosh noise of cooling earth made him jump a little. It was pretty funny.
Between the walk to the block party, two trips to the store and a little pyrotechnic bee extermination it was a busy and tiring day. No sleeping in tomorrow. Gotta go to church. More want to than got to, though. Hate it when people say got to like it's a chore.

No comments: