9/4/07

DAY SEVENTY

Got up and got ready for church. Before we could get going I got the oven on and prepped my two racks of pork ribs. I rubbed this steak rub on them and then put them in roaster bags. On top of the slabs of ribs I added a bottle of barbecue sauce and a sliced yellow onion. Now they got to soak and simmer for the next four hours while we were gone. We all headed out for the twenty five minute trek to church. It's not that bad and we wouldn't consider going to another church unless we moved far, far away. Besides, we were starting a new study guide for Sunday School. I get to teach the book of Matthew for the next three months. I like the book of Matthew because here we had a guy, an accountant basically, mired in facts and figures who becomes one of the apostles. Pretty heavy stuff. He went from what he could see in front of him to what he had to believe in his heart. Of course, he had Jesus right there in front of him so that was pretty cool.
Church was good. Pastor John said he liked us getting up in front of the church and singing last week. It was fun. I thought it was especially cool that we got to sing a Violent Femmes song in church. Good stuff.
After church we went to a store to pick up a bag of ice before we headed home. Walking into the house was like BBQ nirvana. We had a little over an hour before Chris and Heather showed up for the feast. I thought that we could watch Chuck Norris in The Octagon, but it wasn't to be.
Instead we ate and drank strawberry daiquiris that Heather made and ate some more. And we talked and talked. Chris is looking to open his own dojo after leaving Southside a while ago. This is good because I miss going to Judo. Then we all settled in to watch Godzilla:Final Wars. It was okay, but we started doing Mystery Science Theater riffs on the movie and it made it better. It looked pretty good, but we had a lot of fun making fun of it. Chris let me borrow season two of Animaniacs to burn for myself and we made him take Killer Klowns From Outer Space home to watch.
It was interesting to discover that Heather used to live down the street from me and had actually been in my mom's house. After I had moved out, but it was interesting how things intertwine like that.
I was glad that the food was a success and we are already planning having them over again in the near future.

No comments: