3/5/08

THE ILLNESS (DAYS TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY-NINE, TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY, TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-ONE & TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-TWO

So, this is being written on Wednesday morning. I'm better, but not a lot better. Saturday morning we got the car towed to Muffler Man where they proclaimed its death sentence. Somehow, the oil pump went out and the engine seized up. The car was dead. Now, living paycheck to paycheck this meant that we were really screwed. Really screwed. Then Missy, from church called and asked about church. I told her that we were without a car and unable to make it. She said to give her a minute and she would call us back. When she did call us back she had a ride to church for us in the morning and our friend Alice, also from church, was letting us borrow one of her many cars. I guess it's true what they say about leaving it in God's hands.
The rest of Saturday went by without incident and I noticed that I had a little cough, no big deal.
Sunday we got our ride to church and waiting for us was a nice, white Cadillac courtesy of our personal angel, Alice. Had some fellowship and breakfast and service and still felt pretty good. I mentioned my friend Mark's wife, Lina for the prayer chain. She is still very sick. Then it was off to the homestead.
Later, Martha and Dennis and Delia went to youth group. That went off without a hitch until they tried o come home. The cops decided to put up a speed trap and, while she wasn't speeding, the pretty, white Caddy had expired plates. They let her off with a warning and she came home very flustered. Coincidentally, I started feeling worse with congestion, fever and a cough.
I called Alice and informed her of the situation and she said she would take care of it. Problem solved.
Monday morning came and I felt like crap and went to work. Unfortunately, my coughing fits made it impossible to work so I went home to be ill. Martha was also sick by this time. Not a lot happened for the rest of that day.
Tuesday morning and I knew that I wasn't going to work so I called Josh and he agreed to open for me. Very nice. I could wallow in my misery in peace. Well, except for when Alice came over with the new tags and Martha was still also sick and now Dennis had what we had and Dandelion said she wasn't feeling well either.
To help compound matters I noticed Dennis picking at something on his foot. He had complained about this for a few weeks now and I thought it might have been a wart or some such thing. Then I looked at it. It was oozing pus and there was a hole in the middle. In the hole was something black. Okay, this was not good. He offered to get it out so I let him. He pulled out a quarter inch piece of stiff wire and it was off to the doctor's for a tetanus shot. Thankfully, the doctor's office is only five minutes away. Kids! Sheesh!
I managed to watch a lot of movies in the four days this has taken place. I have to review a lot of them, but just haven't had the effort to sit there and do it. I will tonight most likely. I have managed to cough hard enough and long enough that my ribs are killing me. I still have the worse sinus congestion ever and the coughing isn't so bad if I sit up. Even though I would rather lay down.
As I said in the beginning, it's Wednesday morning and after work Martha and I have to get the old car towed to the junkyard for some much needed cash and clean out the old beast before they come and get it. Not looking forward to that in the slightest. That's it for now. I'll keep everyone posted.

1 comment:

S. W. Miller said...

Hey man, wanna hear some thing coincidence? I have the exact same fucking flu deal you have, though my coughing is a little less... for now. I managed to drag my ass to work both yesterday and today and was promptly sent home and told to sleep it off. I work at International Minute Press doing graphic design work. Great gig. Anyway, also sorry to hear about the old draggin wagon, I would like to hereby offer to sell you our old blue van. It only needs a new radiator, so I will sell it to you for $500 and I will take as little of payments as you want, if you feel like buying it. Anyway, I hope you and your clan feel better, and you can let me know about the van. Talk to ya later.