9/18/08

9/18/08

So, this is just one of those things that you have to get down on virtual paper so you don't forget it. As many of my faithful readers know, I ride my bike to work and, no, I didn't fall off the damned thing again. Anyway, there is this gate to work that all bicycle riders use. You swipe your badge, the light turns green and you are on your merry way. You do actually have to move the gate yourself, it's not automated or anything like that. So, to get out of the same gate there is this huge, blue button you press and then take about three to five steps to the gate and open it. Pushing the big blue button gives you plenty of time to accomplish this.
Yesterday, I pushed the button, wheeled my bike to the gate and nothing. It wouldn't open. Hmmm, I tried again and the same thing happened. Now, contrary to popular belief, I am not an idiot. This was the way I had opened the gate for years. Why should it change now?
I pressed the button again and listened. It was definitely making a noise that sounded like the magnetic lock was being released, but only for a second. Hmmm again. I decided to approach the situation from a MacGyver standpoint. I parked my bike near the gate, took my bike lock cable off my bike and wrapped it around the gate. Then I pulled it towards the button and realized that even with the extra added footage from the cable, my hand would not reach the button. That's when I decided to ninja kick the button. The gate swung open and all was good in the world. Of course, I probably made the security guards day with that particular piece of footage.
That's it for me.
Gotta go!

No comments: